Grom Squad Overview
- Ages 6-12
- Suitable for: Beginners to cable wakeboarding between the ages of 6-12 years *.
- $49 per Session
- Maximum availability: 15
- Cable speed 20-22km/h
- Hire Inclusions: Helmet, Lifevest, Kneeboards, Beginner Wakeboards, Advanced Wakeboards
- Bring along: Swimmers, Towel, Sunscreen, Wetsuit (if required)
All riders under the age of 10 years must first be assessed as competent in the Grom Squad Progression Plan by our staff prior to progressing to Easy Rider Sessions. See our FAQ for more info.
Whilst all participants wear a life vest, all riders must be able to swim confidently at least 25m unassisted.
Grom Squad Sessions
Our Grom Squad sessions are perfect for first time/beginner level 6-12 year old thrill seekers. These sessions begin with some on-land and in-water training and safety drills to help groms understand the basics of starting out on their cable wakeboarding journey. They will then take to the water on kneeboards until confidently doing laps, before attempting to master their first starts, laps and then jumps on the wakeboard.
It is important to understand that cable kneeboarding and wakeboarding are sports, not an amusement ride, and therefore some children may pick up the required skill faster than others. Extra coaches are on hand during the Grom Squad sessions to assist riders with anything from getting around the first corner on the kneeboard, all the way to attempting their first jump on a wakeboard. Please feel free to ask our friendly staff for assistance.
Grom Squad Progression Plan
- Complete 3 x laps unassisted on the kneeboard
- Swim to shore in a safe, prompt manner
(Beginner wakeboards with sandles)
- Practice your stance on land
- Stand up for 25m
- Stand up til the first corner
- Make it around your first corners
- Complete your first lap
- Complete 3 x laps
- Practice S-carves
(Wakeboards with bindings)
- Complete 3 x laps
- Complete S-carves
- Surface 180
- Ride switch for 50m
- Complete S-Carves switch
- Looking out if feature is clear to hit
- Swimming clear of features promptly, and staying clear of blindspots (swim around front, not behind)
- Attempt hitting side of kicker
- Full kicker
- Ollie triangles
- Pipe rail or flat bar 50/50
- Pipe rail or flatbar boardslide
- Surface frontside 360
- Kicker 180
What people are saying
Great activity for kids!
Fun for kids of any age. Great exercise when you want to get the kids out of the house. Can do in most kinds of weather (they're wet anyway!) and the cafe does the best hot chips!
We love Wakehouse Mackay
We love going to Wakehouse Mackay ! Always a great vibe, sitting back and watching the riders. Good food, good coffee, clean facilities.
Our daughter recently tried Grom Squad and the young guys teaching the kids were excellent. Spoke so well with the parents and the kids and were patient and encouraging to them.
One of our fave places in Mackay
One of our favorite places to go in Mackay - great atmosphere, amazing staff and HEAPs of fun! It's really worth scheduling a brunch or a few arvo drinks at the Wakehouse.